Confessions: I am Music

Let's just talk about music for now,
No continuations of a subject with deep philosophical thoughts and world improving intentions,
Just a nice little chatter about music,

Some people get attracted to music cause it helps them through the hard times,
Others to let themselves loose,
And a rather small group loves music just for the music,
Because it's just the greatest thing on the planet,
I am part of the last one,
Ofcourse it helped me through rougher periods and it makes me want to dance and set my mind to blancs,
But for me the appreciation for this phehomenon goes deeper than anything else,
Deeper than love,
I can safely say that music IS my girlfriend,
I love her more than everything or anyone else,
What kind of music it is doesn't matter,
When I started it did matter,
I was obsessed with metalmusic in all sorts,
I guess it was the intensity of sound that attracted me to the genre,
The music itself was more interesting to me than the whole scene around it,
I never really felt like a metalhead,
Though the people were cool,
But I missed something there,
The fragile side of music was not really represented in metal,
So after a couple years of full blown guitarwalls of sound I realized that I needed a more emotional form of music,
And with that transition I knew that my love for music would only grow more tall,
So I started to explore all the different styles in music, hopping through genre to genre,
Some appealed more to me than others,
Styles that were easely digestible I could not make myself swallow while some very challenging types went in like my own saliva,
I still have an aversion towards 'blues' for example but something like 'minimal' I find endlessly interesting,
When I heard Steve Reich's 'Music for 18 Musicians' for the first time I was intrigued,
The stuff like that nowadays is all digitally produced by one guy but this composition was all live played on the spot! (by 18 musicians!!! who would've thought?)
Same goes for a piece of Iancu Dumitrescu called 'Pierres Sacrees',
How can one even make those sounds without computers!?
Fascinating to say the least,
And first time I heard it it scared the hell out off me,
Beacuse of that I really liked it,
I always hope that music does SOMETHING to me,
That kind of music I appreciate the most,
Take the overwhelmingly beautiful dreamscapes from Sigur Rós which colors the whole world in the most fantasic shades or the very sad thin piano songs by Soap&Skin which makes every bit of hope useless,
Both are magnificent but in opposite ways,
And both can bring me to tears everytime I hear them,
Also in oppostite ways (joy and sorrow),
So naturally I bring those aspects to my own music,
Sometimes I play the piano so loud that I totally have a metalvibe going on but in a very bombastic yet dreamy way which makes it accessible again,
But a moment later I play so quietly that you're imagening the sounds more rather than actually hear them,
There will always be a part of me which want to make things larger and heavier than life,
But I learned through music I can reach the same effect by doing the opposite,
That's probably the main reason why I can relate to Post Rock that much, with all the build ups and climaxes within the music,
That genre probably influenced me the most (besides my metal roots which made me start to play music in the first place),
But I take my influences from all places,
I like diversity; aslong as it is still intens,
Actually that word is the best one to describe how I like my music,
And because I am music that's how I like to feel and live,
It is the most real,

I shall end this post with a short list of albums which changed my musical life,
They're not necessarily my favorites but atleast I all love them,
In chronological order;


Fear Factory - Obsolete
Meshuggah - I
Dream Theater - Train of Thought
Yes - Close to the Edge
Pain of Salvation - BE
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum - Grand Opening and Closing
Sunn O))) - Black One
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Slow Riot for New Zerø Kanada
Sigur Rós - ( )
Dead can Dance - Within the Realm of a Dying Sun
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Grandaddy - The Sophtware Slump
Damien Rice - O
Björk - Medúlla
Fennesz - Endless Summer
Ólafur Arnalds - And They have Escaped the Weight of Darkness
Simeon ten Holt - Canto Ostinato


Difficult to make such a list,,,
Feels like it's highly incomplete,
But even to keep it short it's probably already too long,
aw well,,,
In my next post I'll give some more insight why I choose these,
And to close it up I'll say a not so needed sentence to make a point.